Mathias Brandewinder on .NET, F#, VSTO and Excel development, and quantitative analysis / machine learning.
by Mathias 7. September 2010 16:56

In my previous posts, I explored how to identify text in a PowerPoint slide and use the Google .NET API to translate it; let’s put it all together in a simple VSTO add-in for PowerPoint 2007.

The translation functionality is displayed in a Custom Task Pane, where you can pick the language of origin, and the language to translate to. I used the same general design I presented in my Excel add-in tutorial, using WPF controls in the task pane with the MVVM pattern, leveraging the small yet very useful MVVM foundation framework. When running, this is how the add-in looks like:

TranslatorStart

TranslatorEnd

I added only 3 languages in there, but it is fairly easy to modify the code and get it to work with any language pair supported by Google translate.

Download code sample

Comments

Comment RSS